St Mary the Virgin (Old Church):
A building which is dear to the people of Burham is the Old Church - St Mary The Virgin. This lovely old building has been described as "an Alphabet of English Church Architecture". Examples of such architecture from all ages can be found in the building (including some Roman tiles probably taken from the ruins of Roman Farmhouses nearby). It stands close to the River Medway by the old Ferry Crossing point which was used so much during mediaeval times by pilgrims using the Pilgrims Way.
The earliest parts of this church are Norman, and it is known that north and south Aisles were added in the late 12th or early 13th century. The church was enlarged in the 14th century and the tower added sometime during the next hundred years (possibly financed by Pilgrims). The church was then reduced in size during the next few centuries, probably due to the Reformation and changing religious attitudes - the Aisles were removed and the Chancel restored to its original dimensions, though a porch was added to the outside.
With the building of the new church in 1881 the use of the old church decreased, ceasing altogether in 1919 apart from the occasional funeral. The church fell into a state of disrepair and its fittings, apart from the Font, were removed. However restoration work began in 1956 and today the church is in the care of the Redundant Churches Fund, ensuring its preservation. It is still used for services though not on a regular basis.